Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Deadlines Are Awesome!

This past weekend, I discovered that the deadline to turn in a manuscript for a conference review was the date to be 'received by' instead of the date to be 'postmarked by.' 

At first, this was not good news (i.e., extreme panic), but after 4 hours of revisions during the wee hours of the morning (I couldn't sleep anyway), I finished version 6 of the story and had it formatted and ready to be mailed the next day. 

The deadline turned out to be the path to unleashing creativity and honing my story to a much finer point. I simply could not miss the deadline. 

So, next time you think there is no time (did i mention I also had unexpected house guests) to get that revision or query or cover finished and submitted, get inspired and just do it. The dead of night could be your best time to work on meeting deadlines!
-Q 

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on a deadline lately, too (getting contest submissions out). That is why I haven't posted much. Seems like I always find something else to change each time I read them out loud.But, finally,they are in the mail or in an envelop ready to go out in the mail.

    ReplyDelete