Monday, September 2, 2013

Marketing for Introverts

I am a quasi-introvert. I enjoy people, other writers, children, etc, but still recharge my creative batteries in solitude (hiking, photography, reading). So, like other introverts, marketing is less than a good time for me because I see it as being uninvited and in your face (e.g., telemarketers at dinner time). I prefer a more sincere approach (i.e., helping others). This plays into my comfort zone since I am more than happy to market for other writers and illustrators. I also like helping folks find reading that meets their needs.

Recently, I rediscovered Rachelle Burk's Writers' Resources blog with TONS of great info. writing/publishing topics as well as great marketing links. I am now making lists of parent organizations, stores, school, journals and anyone else who comes to mind that might genuinely be helped by offering Alphabet Puke - Monsters' Medicine A-Z to their children, patients, or clients.

I know this is intuitive (and I have been doing it to some degree), but now I'm looking at marketing through a different lens and don't mind the process. I'm helping! This mindset change has made all the difference in my marketing foot dragging. Give it a try and let me know what you think or send along other marketing tips for introverts and extroverts. - Q 

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. I love to write, but I don't love peddling my books. Helping people is a good way to deal with that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete