Sunday, February 3, 2013

Read, Read, Read

As we begin another writing and critiquing year, I am amazed at all the interesting ways children's writers tell stories. Take Lee Wardlaw's Won Ton - A Cat Tale Told in Haiku. As the title describes, the story is told via page after page of haiku. Clever!

Will I ever write a book in haiku? Who knows? But now I have a role model and trail blazer to look to in case I want to try it.

Or how about How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum by Jessie Hartland that tells a historical story and slips in tons of science details. Super!

Will I be writing about dinosaurs soon. No, but thanks to this book, I have a excellent example of how interweaving science and history can be done. 

There are lots of other examples. I save mine at Picbooksrock on Pinterest. Then, I can go back and reference my favorites whenever I want.
-Q

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I could or would write an entire book in haiku, but it was a fun way to tell a story, and a fun way to challenge myself. Seven publishers rejected this book before it found a home at Holt. Two editors didn't care for the haiku. Just goes to show that you need to believe in your work, and believe it WILL find a home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the submission background and inspiration! I love haiku and thought the Won Ton text was great fun.

    ReplyDelete